Home Page Store Engine Packages Photo Albums

Thread: Wobbly ring

Default Wobbly ring

Think I may have a problem. Noticed that the supercharger ring on my balancer has a front to back wobble. Kinda looks like its warped. Its just the ring though, the balancer is smooth, and even with the wobble, the belts seem to be running true.

This is one of your 9.55" rings and an ATI balancer. I did check the bolts, they're fine, the ring is seated fine. Is this common? Its not causing any problems thus far, but I'm kinda worried that it may eventually cause front crankshaft seal wear.

I can try to get a video if you want to see what I'm talking about, though I'm not sure my iPhones fps rate would catch it and my HD digital video camera has no light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_11CTSV View Post
    Think I may have a problem. Noticed that the supercharger ring on my balancer has a front to back wobble. Kinda looks like its warped. Its just the ring though, the balancer is smooth, and even with the wobble, the belts seem to be running true.

This is one of your 9.55" rings and an ATI balancer. I did check the bolts, they're fine, the ring is seated fine. Is this common? Its not causing any problems thus far, but I'm kinda worried that it may eventually cause front crankshaft seal wear.

I can try to get a video if you want to see what I'm talking about, though I'm not sure my iPhones fps rate would catch it and my HD digital video camera has no light.
    Hi Mike,

I wouldnt' say this is common. It would be best to check with a laser to see how much runout you have to determine what would be acceptable. Another potential, but unlikely concern would be to see if the balancer assembly bolts are not coming loose. Were they assembled with loctite, and torqued evenly? I presume they were. I would just double check all fastener torque to verify nothing odd is going on. Feel free to contact me direct if you have any questions. jmyers@lingenfelter.com or 260-724-2552 x 1003.

thank you

Jeff

They tested the run out with a dial indicator and its just under a quarter of an inch at the front edge. They don't have any sort of laser to measure it.

I'm not that worried about it now, because I'm only driving her on the streets. When I take her to the track after she's broken in (she's only got 2k miles), then I'll be more worried with sustained high rpms. Couldn't track her now if I wanted to. She runs out of fuel on the top end. 122% injector duty cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_11CTSV View Post
    They tested the run out with a dial indicator and its just under a quarter of an inch at the front edge. They don't have any sort of laser to measure it.

I'm not that worried about it now, because I'm only driving her on the streets. When I take her to the track after she's broken in (she's only got 2k miles), then I'll be more worried with sustained high rpms. Couldn't track her now if I wanted to. She runs out of fuel on the top end. 122% injector duty cycle.
    I would still recommend double checking all the fastener torque. Get some injectors in that beast! :)

Finally got around to making a video of this. Something definitely isn't right.

Still though, the belt seems to be running true, so maybe its just the outside edge thats not right?

If this vid is no good (took it with my iPhone), let me know and I'll try to get one with my 720p camera. Thats the best I got.
    Last edited by Mike_11CTSV; 09-11-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Trying to fix the video.