Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood for over 200 mph

Hi,
    I've rebuilt my C5 to a 680whp twin turbo. It should be capable of going north of 200 mph. I am wondering whether I need to modify my hood not to fell off at such speed (of lift the front - what would be worse..). Many people with tunned C5s modify hoods or buy aftermarket ones. On the other hand Lingenfelter Twin Turbo C5 doing 225mph had a stock (or 'looks like stock') hood with no vents or holes... And nothing fell off..
    Anybody has got experience about that? Gone over 200mph with stock hood?
    Last edited by Potocki; 12-06-2014, 10:21 PM.

Anybody from Lingenfelter PE? Was the hood in 2001 Twin Turbo C5 stock or modified? What hood have you been using in other modified C5s?

Comment

Lingenfelter Performance built this car in the spring of 2000 for an upcoming article in Motor Trend Magazine that was to be featured in the March 2000 issue.

The 1999 C5 was a 350 CID LS1 Lingenfelter 650 Horsepower twin turbo, six speed Corvette with our standard production twin turbochargers and twin air to air charge coolers. The car ran HRE forged three piece aluminum wheels, Michelin tires and was lowered to reduce drag at high speed. To insure the car would stay firmly planted on the pavement at speeds over 200 MPH we had 300 lbs of ballast in the rear of the car.

The Corvette was run at what was then called TRC or The Transportation Research Center located in Bellefontaine, Ohio. TRC was equipped with several facilities including a crash lab, emissions lab and the 7 1/2 mile high banked oval test track.
      Driven by John Lingenfelter on pump gas and street tires this Corvette set a Motor Trend record for fastest “Tuner” C5 Corvette with a pass of 226 MPH.

This had a stock factory hood on the car for all of the testing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8175_1400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	4024

Comment

Thanks Tim!
        Good detailed explanation.
        You did a good job bringing the good old C5 to 225 mph! :-)
        So there was no mod in aerodynamics and instead you made the rear heavier. :-0
        The rear is light, that's true and I guess David Pringle has experienced the rear to lift off doing 250 mph ride in his record Vette.
        I am curious. Do you know what power your car was producing at full speed? Twin turbos usually max at certain RPMs (much lower than max) and then gradually fell in produced HP.Was it going near top rpms during the 226 mph ride or you shuffled with the gearbox to make it go that fast at rpms giving the highest possible power?

Comment

Potocki,
          I don't know if you are still looking for information however I thought I would offer my experience running one of the TT650 cars @ the TX Mile. I own TT650 S/N 003. It retains all of the original engine build however with the power turned up to 785 RWHP 820 RWTQ, I am able to run right at 200 MPH in the standing mile. The car is an FRC with the raised hood as delivered by Lingenfelter and I use no added ballast weight during my runs. I have added a carbon fiber ZR1 type rear spoiler on the car to bump the down force up a bit in the rear, however I have not experimented running the car with/without the spoiler so I cannot comment on its effectiveness. I will say the car feels very stable @ 200 MPH. I do not tape anything up on the car or do anything special to the car to run the mile other than bolt on my speed rated tires (Hoosier R6) and safety equipment. Otherwise the car runs in full street trim... through the catalytic converters/mufflers and rear view mirrors on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim@Lingenfelter View Post
            Lingenfelter Performance built this car in the spring of 2000 for an upcoming article in Motor Trend Magazine that was to be featured in the March 2000 issue.

The 1999 C5 was a 350 CID LS1 Lingenfelter 650 Horsepower twin turbo, six speed Corvette with our standard production twin turbochargers and twin air to air charge coolers. The car ran HRE forged three piece aluminum wheels, Michelin tires and was lowered to reduce drag at high speed. To insure the car would stay firmly planted on the pavement at speeds over 200 MPH we had 300 lbs of ballast in the rear of the car.

The Corvette was run at what was then called TRC or The Transportation Research Center located in Bellefontaine, Ohio. TRC was equipped with several facilities including a crash lab, emissions lab and the 7 1/2 mile high banked oval test track.
            Driven by John Lingenfelter on pump gas and street tires this Corvette set a Motor Trend record for fastest “Tuner” C5 Corvette with a pass of 226 MPH.

This had a stock factory hood on the car for all of the testing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4811[/ATTACH]
            Hi Tim,
            Do you remember where did you put the balast in the rear in your 2000 226MPH C5?
            It seems there are not that many places to put it, except for the trunk. Inside the frame by any chance?
            Especially after I put 2 turbos, intercooler, oil radiator at the front and 325/19 tyres at the back there is a need for some weight at the back...
            Thanks
            Peter

Comment

Working...
            X